The COVID-19 situation in Krabi can be considered somewhat concerning as the accumulative number of COVID-19 patients makes up 13% of the total Krabi population.
According to Emergency Operation Center (EOC) for COVID-19 of Krabi Province, as of March 28, 2022, at 6 PM, 60,715 accumulative COVID-19 patients tested by ATK and RT-PCR method has been collected since January 1, 2022, which makes 13% of the total 463,539 Krabi population reported in 2019 by Krabi Administration Office. The top 3 districts that are found with the most infected cases tested by the 2 methods are Khao Panom (249), Muang Krabi/Phi Phi Island (140), and Koh Lanta (106), respectively.
However, the death toll is still very low, with 65 deaths reported since January 1, 2022. The accumulative number of vaccinated Krabi citizens is 378,849, which makes up more than 80% of the total population. The first dose is reported at 75.20%. The second dose is at 69.38%. The third dose is at 19.11%. The fourth dose is at 01.57%. The Krabi Administration Office is still seriously enforcing VUCA, which is to promote vaccination (V), to campaign for universal protection against the virus such as social distancing, wash washing, and mask wearing (U), to ensure COVID-free settings, which is to check ATK results of staff in service businesses (C) and to make ATKs available for all people (A).
Because of the worrying situation, some measures are still imposed on some businesses as follows (according to Krabi Governor, Mr. Puttipong Sirimatr’s, official declaration on February 28, 2022);
- Supermarkets and department stores can operate until 11 PM if passing COVID Free Setting policy by the Ministry of Health.
- Markets, walking streets, morning markets can operate from 3-11 PM and must comply with the COVID Free Setting policy.
- Cinemas can operate from 10 AM – 11 PM and must comply with the COVID Free Setting policy.
- Exercising venues, gyms, fitness centers can operate until 11 PM and must comply with COVID Free Setting policy. In case of any sports competition, approval must be granted by the Communicable Disease Committee of Krabi Province.
- Convenience stores can operate during the usual business hours.
- Daycare centers/schools can operate during the usual business hours.
- Tutoring schools can accommodate many people after approval must be granted by the Communicable Disease Committee of Krabi Province.
- Spas, massage places can operate until 11 PM and must comply with the COVID Free Setting policy.
- Tattoo studios, gas stations can operate during the usual business hours and must comply with the COVID Free Setting policy.
- Religious places can operate as usual.
Annually during the Songkran festival, most people travel to other provinces and organize gatherings and parties. This concern worries the nation and the city as possible clusters may take place; however, with a minimum of 2 COVID-19 shots of any brand and/or an optional booster shot of the third or the fourth may help lessen the impacts. Still, guard up by wearing a mask at all times, especially when outside home, washing hands frequently, especially before meals and after bathroom use, and keeping social distancing when in public areas.